Live in or around Southend-on-Sea, and looking to get digital TV? This page offers information on the digital TV services available in and around Southend.
TV for Southend-on-Sea
If you’re living in or around Southend-on-Sea and you get your TV using a TV aerial (and not Sky or Virgin), then chances are you get your TV from the London TV region from the Crystal Palace transmitter.
If your aerial isn’t pointing to London, the alternative is that you’re getting TV signals from the East Anglia service from the Sudbury or Rouncefall transmitters,or the Meridian region (using the Bluebell Hill transmitter in Kent).
Digital TV Switchover
The UK’s Digital Switchover finished in October 2012, and we’re all now getting our TV digitally. The old analogue transmitter for our area switched off as follows::
- Get your BBC and ITV from London? The Crystal Palace transmitter completed the digital switchover in April 2012
- Get your BBC and ITV from Anglia? The Sudbury transmitter completed the digital switchover in July 2011
- Get your BBC and ITV from Kent / Meridian? The Bluebell Hill transmitter completed the digital switchover in July 2012
Digital TV services available in Southend
Here’s a quick summary of the digital TV services available in Southend-on-Sea today:
|Freeview in Southend||
Freeview is available in the Southend-on-Sea area now, and viewers in Leigh-on-Sea, Westcliff, central Southend, Thorpe Bay, Shoebury and Wakering should be able to get Freeview with a rooftop aerial.
For more, see the Radio and Telly Freeview page.
For more, go to www.sky.com
More at btvision.bt.com
More: Go to www.virginmedia.com
More on Radio and Telly’s Freesat page.
Digital TV Transmitters for Southend-on-Sea
Information on the digital TV transmitters serving Southend-on-Sea. Distance and direction assumes Southend High Street
- Crystal Palace, London – Distance 35 miles, compass heading 255°. Power: 4kW
- Rouncefall (Ashingdon), Essex – Distance 5 miles, compass heading 341°. Power: 20kW
- Bluebell Hill, Kent – Distance 17 miles, compass heading 207°. Power: 3kW
- Maplin – A 5 minute walk from the High Street. Great for cables, boosters, aerial bits and connectors
Got a question about Digital TV, Freeview or the switchover in Southend on Sea? Please get in touch