Driving to Southend-on-Sea
Some information on driving to Southend, route planning, and checking on local travel conditions
Driving to Southend:
Southend is served by two main ‘A’ roads:
- The A127 Southend Arterial Road – Generally, the A127 is regarded as a better road – it’s dual-carriageway all of the way, a faster road, and connects well with the A12 (Chelmsford) and A128 (Brentwood).
- The A13 London Road – Dual-carriageway from the M25 until just past Basildon, when much of the run into Southend is single-carriageway, with traffic lights.
Both the A127 and A13 connect with the M25 motorway, and both of these roads run from East London into the centre of Southend.
Speed cameras: If using the A127, watch out for the speed cameras. Average speed camera checks are in place on the A27 coming into Southend. The A127 drops from 70mph to 40mph when you’re about three miles away from the town – watch for the active speed camera just after the speed limit drops.
Sat Nav Directions to Southend:
Seafront: If you’re programming your sat nav for the trip to Southend Seafront, try the postcode SS1 1EE, or use the address Pier Hill, Southend-on-Sea.
Town Centre: If you’re programming your sat nav for a trip to Southend’s Town Centre, try the postcode SS1 2JY, or use the address "Warrior Square, Southend-on-Sea". This should get you close to the Warrior Square open-air car park.
Route Planning Directions?
Try this handy tool from the RAC
Breakdown cover or Car insurance
Southend Travel News?
Below is a summary of current traffic incidents in the Southend-on-Sea area, including A127, A13, A12 and M25:
Widget by Frixo Road Traffic | M23 Traffic
Take a look at live traffic data from the Highways Agency
Other Southend Travel Links:
- Southend Travel – Information on travelling to Southend
- Visiting Southend – Handy information on planning a visit
- Southend Essentials – A one-page guide to bring with you
- Trains to Southend – Information on rail links to the town
- Unofficial c2c Info – Information on Southend’s c2c train service
Got a Smartphone and drive in Southend? Consider Waze – the free social GPS app!
Waze, showing Halloween Goodies in Westcliff