Southend Info from Sarfend.co.ukDiscuss Southend-on-Sea in the Sarfend Forum
Southend discussion from your local site, Sarfend.co.uk Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8
Send Topic Print
Southend high street (Read 8415 times)
guvnor34

I get my Southend information
from Sarfend.co.uk

southend on sea, essex
Southend high street
Dec 4th, 2010 at 4:55pm

been having a chat with a few buddies and discusssing namers of department stores that used to be in southend, obviously keddies was the main one, but there usedto be a store where mcdonnalds are now - any ideas of the name please
« Last Edit: Dec 5th, 2010 at 9:24pm by Admin »  

IP Logged

southendroger
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

southend-on-sea
Re: Southend high street
Reply #1 - Dec 5th, 2010 at 9:42pm

Hi guvnor Welcome to the site. It depends what year there was Dixons by the vic circus. There was the Army and navy dept store where currys is now.

IP Logged

Alarminstaller
Guru

Sarfend.co.uk for Southend
information

Southend On Sea
Reply #2 - Dec 6th, 2010 at 7:16pm

Meakers, Brightwells,RA Jones, Southchurch Road Co-op,Garons, Lyons Tea Rooms,Rosenbergs gents outfitters,Lesley Andrews Tailors, Bettles greengrocers they are just a few that I remember.

43 years spent attending and advising on crime prevention at crime scenes both as a Police Officer CPO & Security Consultant of Security Systems Group Ltd a Police and NSI registered Company locally.

IP Logged

gromit

information

PRITTLEWELL
Reply #3 - Dec 6th, 2010 at 10:03pm

hows about - owen wallis  - teleview- crows newsagents and not forgetting miss rose all around the m&s area

IP Logged

southendroger
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

southend-on-sea
Reply #4 - Dec 6th, 2010 at 10:42pm

Hi Grommit  Welcome to the site .

IP Logged

LeftSouthendBehind
Guru

information

Suffolk
Reply #5 - Dec 6th, 2010 at 11:06pm

gromit wrote on Dec 6th, 2010 at 10:03pm:
hows about - owen wallis  - teleview- crows newsagents and not forgetting miss rose all around the m&s area

Hello

That reminds me - perhaps someone can confirm what it was Radio rentals? maybe teleview? i remember looking in a huge plate glass window of a shop and there were stacks of tvs all showing the same channel and all of them those heavy ones with the brown surround and manual channel change at the top greenish curved screen, I expect that dates it what shop would that have been?People would gaether in front of the shop window if anything interesting came on tv.

IP Logged

gromit

information

PRITTLEWELL
Reply #6 - Dec 6th, 2010 at 11:23pm

there were quite a few tv rental shops in that area  der granada visionhire  i worked at teleview from 1976

IP Logged

kiwibloke
Guru

Sarfend 4 ever

Nuzild
Reply #7 - Dec 13th, 2010 at 1:47am

I worked for RR in the early 70s - the shop was in Southchurch Rd - about where the SFC shop is now

IP Logged

Aetheling

information

Munich
Reply #8 - Dec 13th, 2010 at 9:13am

kiwibloke wrote on Dec 13th, 2010 at 1:47am:
I worked for RR in the early 70s - the shop was in Southchurch Rd - about where the SFC shop is now

When I had a saturday job working in the Wimpy bar in Southend high st during the  late 70s the chaps in RR or Redifusion repairing the TVs (not too sure but they were just along from us) had an evil practical joke, they used charge up a capacitor and throw at an unsuspecting victim to catch Shocked

IP Logged

Mini-spiv
Guru

Vote Sarfend

Germany
Reply #9 - Dec 13th, 2010 at 8:17pm

Aetheling wrote on Dec 13th, 2010 at 9:13am:
... they used charge up a capacitor and throw at an unsuspecting victim to catch Shocked

They say: "Never attempt to catch a falling knife", guess that goes for electrical capacitors too.

IP Logged

TheOz

Suck it and Sea

Southend
Reply #10 - Dec 20th, 2010 at 4:37pm

Radio Rentals used to be on the corner of the High St / Elmer Approach @ late 80's. Think its a Costa Coffee now.

British Gas
Chesters (nightclub)
Scholl
+ ASDA were in the high St too.

IP Logged

LeftSouthendBehind
Guru

information

Suffolk
Reply #11 - Dec 20th, 2010 at 4:46pm

TheOz wrote on Dec 20th, 2010 at 4:37pm:
Radio Rentals used to be on the corner of the High St / Elmer Approach @ late 80's. Think its a Costa Coffee now.

British Gas
Chesters (nightclub)
Scholl
+ ASDA were in the high St too.

Hello thanks its radio rentals i was thinking of then don't remember asda being in the high street

i used to strut my stuff at Chesters/Waves under the gas showroom!!!!!!!!  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged

barney15c

Vote Sarfend

Shoeburyness
Reply #12 - Dec 20th, 2010 at 7:14pm

Lyons tea room... when did it close and what shop did this become. Have very vague memories of this place (i'm 46 so was extremely young probably no more than 4 or 5), seem to remember it was very dark, and the glass display counters with the fresh cream cakes and gateaux inside and the 'Nippies'. When did it open and are there any picture of it online anywhere???

IP Logged

JW
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Dec 20th, 2010 at 11:32pm

TheOz wrote on Dec 20th, 2010 at 4:37pm:
ASDA were in the high St too.

I'm pretty certain that ASDA have never been in Southend High Street.

IP Logged

alamotex
Guru

Vote Sarfend

Canada
Reply #14 - Dec 21st, 2010 at 9:43am

Some time back, the queston was asked whether anyone remembered a fish shop close to the railway bridge over the high street ? I do not , but on my recent visit to the UK, I did observe an open fronted fish shop on the London Road close to Hamlet Court Road. I suspect that it has been there for a very long time...I am pretty certain that it was there in the immediate post war WW II years and possibly earlier.( Ossie does not live that far from it )

Cheers   Brian

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8
Send Topic Print