Southend Info from Sarfend.co.ukDiscuss Southend-on-Sea in the Sarfend Forum
Southend discussion from your local site, Sarfend.co.uk Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Pier Damaged (Read 9069 times)
Nick
Guru

Southend 4 Life

Westcliff-on-Sea
Pier Damaged
Sep 6th, 2011 at 8:33am

It is being reported that Southend Pier has been damaged by a barge that was moored alongside, the barge was forced under the pier during the strong winds and heavy seas during the night.

It is reported that piles have been damaged and that a section of decking has been pushed up.

IP Logged

SatsumaPete
Guru

Sarfend.co.uk for Southend
information

Basildon
Re: Pier Damaged
Reply #1 - Sep 6th, 2011 at 1:12pm

That's sad news. Looks like it has also been closed indefinitely. Would better controls over mooring near the Pier have helped ?

IP Logged

Nick
Guru

Southend 4 Life

Westcliff-on-Sea
Reply #2 - Sep 6th, 2011 at 4:05pm

Beleve it was alongside the neck of the pier, as they were installing a new fire ring main.

Boats often slip their moorings, its now been towed away and they are assessing damage.

Took a wander down to see if anything was visible from the shore not really but possibly...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v142/Southendnick/Southend%20Town/PierTue6Sept...
Takrn from the viewing tower very very windy!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v142/Southendnick/Southend%20Town/PierTue6Sept...
A heavly cropped photo, if you cut and paste look at the lamp post in the middle of the arch looks to be on the wonk.

IP Logged

NigelT
Guru

Darn'd Wabbit

Reply #3 - Sep 6th, 2011 at 8:44pm

Yeah I drove along very slowly at about 1 PM and it was difficult to see the pier at times never mind what was happening at the end of it......I think Autumn might have arrived.

Southend based all my life, running two businesses for the last 30+ years. Kitchen design, build and restoration at www.KitchenSOS.co.uk & a video production business www.ArenaVideo.co.uk

IP Logged

JW
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Sep 7th, 2011 at 12:37am

We saw a barge loaded with what looked like repair supplies on Friday 26th August. It was near an area where work was clearly being undertaken underneath the decking. The barge had all sorts of wood and cables on it. I guess it must have been that one. Would not have guessed that something moored so close could have such an impact. Glad we made our pilgrimage out there when we did though!

JW

IP Logged

scalyback
Guru

Victor Meldrew for Mayor

Southchurch (Not Thorpe Bay)
Reply #5 - Sep 7th, 2011 at 11:35am

My wife & I had a walk down the pier last Thursday and we noticed the barge. It was moored no more than 10 feet from the western side of the pier. There was also a long very heavy duty large fender which ran the length of the barge between it and the pier, much like a giant floating tube . Although the barge was tied up to the pier there looked to be at least a couple of anchors out quite a way upstream as well, protected by bouys. There didn't seem to be too much in the barge, just a portaloo & a few odds & ends; nothing heavy although the barge itself was substantial. I find it hard to believe that the barge secured the way it was could have done such damage, at least from the position we saw it. Maybe they had moved it away from the pier 'for safety'?

I hope the Council employed the company doing the work on sufficiently tight terms so as to make them responsible for the damage & repairs necessary; I wouldn't put money on it though!
Undecided

IP Logged

NigelT
Guru

Darn'd Wabbit

Reply #6 - Sep 8th, 2011 at 7:41am

As the decking was damaged also, maybe most of damage was caused by the wave/tide action as the barge nestled into the pier structure. If the barge was pushed under the pier structure during the really windy weather during an incoming tide the rising tide would force the barge up against the structure with and incredible amount of force. Add to that that the battering ram effect of the heavy sea and wind action, even a relatively small vessel, never mind a great steel barge, would cause considerable damage.

Southend based all my life, running two businesses for the last 30+ years. Kitchen design, build and restoration at www.KitchenSOS.co.uk & a video production business www.ArenaVideo.co.uk

IP Logged

scalyback
Guru

Victor Meldrew for Mayor

Southchurch (Not Thorpe Bay)
Reply #7 - Sep 8th, 2011 at 9:24am

Good point,  I guess it must have gone into the pier bow or stern first as otherwise the enormous fender/boom would have stopped it going underneath.

IP Logged

SatsumaPete
Guru

information

Basildon
Reply #8 - Sep 8th, 2011 at 12:13pm

This appeared on the BBC local TV news last night:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-14823786

IP Logged

Nick
Guru

Southend 4 Life

Westcliff-on-Sea
Reply #9 - Sep 8th, 2011 at 4:32pm

Things could have been worse, if it had been moored away from the pier and slipped its moorings it could have been sweept along the entire length of the pier.

IP Logged

SatsumaPete
Guru

information

Basildon
Reply #10 - Sep 11th, 2011 at 11:14pm

It would just be the Pier's luck if this fell on it. Currently, it's not known where the bulk of it will land ! :-

http://www.space.com/12893-dead-nasa-satellite-falling-space-junk.html

IP Logged

Nick
Guru

Southend 4 Life

Westcliff-on-Sea
Reply #11 - Sep 12th, 2011 at 4:12pm

I'm selling hard hats if anyone is intrested...

IP Logged

jon4594

I get my Southend information
from Sarfend.co.uk

Reply #12 - Sep 18th, 2011 at 8:23pm

does anyone know when the peir reopens ?? Cheesy

IP Logged

Nick
Guru

Southend 4 Life

Westcliff-on-Sea
Reply #13 - Sep 18th, 2011 at 8:38pm

jon4594 wrote on Sep 18th, 2011 at 8:23pm:
does anyone know when the peir reopens ?? Cheesy

Should be Saturday 24th September, the same day as the busking festival and the visit of the PS Waverley.

IP Logged

ossie
Guru

Westcliff-on-Sea
Reply #14 - Sep 23rd, 2011 at 3:46pm

Southend Pier reopens tomorrow and there's plenty of reasons to visit with a fantastic weather forecast, live music from 12-5 on Saturday and Sunday along with the Waverley sailing trips also starting this weekend.

The walkway is restricted due to recent damage but the pier railway is open fully and there are special prices to make the most of the good weather: 2 return by train per adult 1 per concession.

Please check out a new website dedicated to Southend's Timeline:
http://www.southendtimeline.com/

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print