Southend Info from Sarfend.co.ukDiscuss Southend-on-Sea in the Sarfend Forum
Southend discussion from your local site, Sarfend.co.uk Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Electronic Bus Signs (Read 12656 times)
scalyback
Guru

Victor Meldrew for Mayor

Southchurch (Not Thorpe Bay)
Electronic Bus Signs
Jan 30th, 2013 at 9:40am

I've noticed that the electronic bus signs throughout the town are no longer showing the bus times just simply see Timetable. Anyone know what this is all about?

I always thought that these signs were a bid misleading as they never showed the actual situation (how long before the next bus ) just when the timetable says the next bus should arrive, and they didn't show Stephensons buses at all, but it was better than nothing!

IP Logged

SatsumaPete
Guru

Sarfend.co.uk for Southend
information

Basildon
Re: Electronic Bus Signs
Reply #1 - Jan 30th, 2013 at 10:07am

We have electronic sings here in Basildon. Half the time they are not working. When they are, they seem to be fairly accurate, given the varying traffic conditions out there. Not ideal, but they are definitely better than the old printed timetables.

IP Logged

ken mcnasty

I get my Southend information
from Sarfend.co.uk

Westcliff on Sea
Reply #2 - Jan 30th, 2013 at 10:54am

I think they stopped at Christmas when no buses were running and haven't worked since.

IP Logged

Nick
Guru

Southend 4 Life

Westcliff-on-Sea
Reply #3 - Jan 30th, 2013 at 1:31pm

The system is boing updated, I beleive it is to provide more accurate times as to how long you have to wait for the next bus to arrive rather than what time is is due, which would be better.

IP Logged

scalyback
Guru

Victor Meldrew for Mayor

Reply #4 - Jan 30th, 2013 at 6:05pm

Nick wrote on Jan 30th, 2013 at 1:31pm:
The system is boing updated, I beleive it is to provide more accurate times as to how long you have to wait for the next bus to arrive rather than what time is is due, which would be better.

That is very good news, as too often in the past I've waited at a stop for a bus due in say 5 minutes only for it to disappear from the display and no bus arrives. Do you know if Stephensons buses will be included in future? At present they aren't even signed as to what stops they use in Southend.

IP Logged

Nick
Guru

Southend 4 Life

Westcliff-on-Sea
Reply #5 - Jan 30th, 2013 at 6:23pm

Not got a clue, there is also the Regal Bus service

IP Logged

Suffolk punch
Guru

information

Suffolk's Heritage Coast
Reply #6 - Jan 30th, 2013 at 8:52pm

What are buses?  Grin

IP Logged

JW
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jan 30th, 2013 at 10:32pm

Suffolk punch wrote on Jan 30th, 2013 at 8:52pm:
What are buses?  Grin

You call them charabancs up your way!  Wink

Here is one yesterday: http://www.gowllandoptical.co.uk/Charabanc.jpg

IP Logged

Mini-spiv
Guru

Vote Sarfend

Germany
Electronic Bus Signs
Reply #8 - Jan 31st, 2013 at 4:08pm

And there's me thinking they still run these things up there...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/calotype46/5014963097/

Lowestoft = Suffolk

IP Logged

Suffolk punch
Guru

information

Suffolk's Heritage Coast
Reply #9 - Jan 31st, 2013 at 7:29pm

Thanks JW.  Love the way the window at the front of the charabanc is open for the air  Grin .

Coo that electrickery is real clever, Mini Spiv  mind you Lowestoft is a big BIG town. 

Actually the transport museum is well worth a visit if anyone is up this way and interested in that sort of thing.

IP Logged

Mini-spiv
Guru

Vote Sarfend

Germany
Reply #10 - Jan 31st, 2013 at 9:22pm

scalyback wrote on Jan 30th, 2013 at 9:40am:
I always thought that these signs were a bid misleading as they never showed the actual situation (how long before the next bus) just when the timetable says the next bus should arrive...

Have to agree with you 100% Scalyback

Now-er-days they can read your electricity meter without entering your home just by cruising in your neighbourhood while using another of those new electro-gadgets.

The same goes for your heating costs by remotely reading every radiator and water heater you have.

So if they can do the above, I see no reason why they can't inform waiting passengers per screen:

a) Where the next bus actually is (At the moment the enquiry button is pressed).

and

b) An (actual) estimated time of arrival in minutes.

It's like when you ring up somewhere wishing to speak to a particular person only to be told by the receptionist/secretary "Mr. Smith is not here at the moment, can you ring later?"

You comply with this request only to be told the same thing for a second or third time.

It sure makes my blood boil, for Cr**t's sake, HE knows WHEN he's back, why can't she ask for your number and tell the [email protected][email protected] to ring you!

IP Logged

SatsumaPete
Guru

information

Basildon
Reply #11 - Feb 1st, 2013 at 11:47am

Haha.. one big bump, and the guys on the back would be launched onto the road !! :0)

Quote:
You call them charabancs up your way!  Wink

Here is one yesterday: http://www.gowllandoptical.co.uk/Charabanc.jpg

IP Logged

Mini-spiv
Guru

Vote Sarfend

Germany
Reply #12 - Feb 7th, 2013 at 8:17pm

I had a routine dental appointment today and decided to travel by bus.
I chose to sit up front close to the driver and having little else to do I studied his cockpit. Besides having a radio for contact with his base, it had a mini computer with a small screen close to him.

On it even I could read how it showed which road the bus was actually on at any given time but also showed whether the bus was ahead or behind schedule.
(In this case it varied between 3 and 4 minutes late, perhaps he made it up after I got off)

So if a transport system catering for a town of about 25.000 like mine can do this, what can we expect from a system serving over 170.00 like Southend?

In the larger towns in Germany many of the buses also carry video cameras.
Another cute little extra I noticed in Bremen was that some of the buses have a fitted postal box on board that can be quite useful for the lazy or forgetful.

IP Logged

Wes Cliff
Guru

I get my Southend information
from Sarfend.co.uk

Halifax
Reply #13 - Feb 8th, 2013 at 9:46am

Last time I was on a bus in Germany it was 1971.

But the buses up here all have similar equipment - cameras, computers etc.
This way the information that is relayed back to the various stops and bus stations is reasonably accurate.

I asume Southend also has First as the bus co. So I would have thought equipment was standard throughout.

But perhaps the cameras are not as essential as they are in Bradford Roll Eyes

IP Logged

scalyback
Guru

Victor Meldrew for Mayor

Reply #14 - Feb 8th, 2013 at 12:34pm

Sadly we haven't got the most up to date buses here, although Arriva have introduced new ones within the last year or so and I understand are bringing in some more later this year. They will still then be less than half their fleet new. First buses in Southend come from either Hadleigh or Basildon and all are ancient, some in a very poor state visually. Stephensons are the other main operator and they do have some new as well, but they tend to work the minor routes which are subsidised by EssexCC. For some reason (probably cost) they have not featured on the electronic signs previously.

As far as computer equipment is concerned, I think that few of the buses are new enough to have this fitted, but maybe someone knows differently? I suspect that lack of GPS/Computer equipment is why the signs have never shown real time info, just the timetable in effect. I think all buses have VCR equipment though!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print