Southend Info from Sarfend.co.ukDiscuss Southend-on-Sea in the Sarfend Forum
Southend discussion from your local site, Sarfend.co.uk Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Dunkirk. (Read 819 times)
jonti

I get my Southend information
from Sarfend.co.uk

Melbourne, OZ.
Dunkirk.
Aug 14th, 2017 at 7:02am

I saw the film "Dunkirk" last week at my local cinema in OZ. At the time of Dunkirk I was living in Shaftesbury Ave aged 7 with my grandparents, not yet an evacuee but no school as they had all shut. I can remember some of the events particularly a number of Southend boats that became involved. Leigh cockle boats, a couple of Thames barges that used the old Gasworks jetty, some of the beach pleasure boats and I think the Southend lifeboat. We knew they had gone somewhere but where? The film was great especially the beach scenes but more should have been made of the number of small boats that made the journey. I think they played as big a part as the Navy destroyers and after all, the evacuation took over a week with some boats going into and out from the beach many times. The process of getting all the boats to sea along the UK south coast would make a good story on its own. jonti.

IP Logged

Grimaldos

from Sarfend.co.uk

Re: Dunkirk.
Reply #1 - Dec 8th, 2017 at 1:06pm

Great to hear about it from someone who witnessed this. How did you like the film itself? Do you think it did justice to that event?

IP Logged

jonti

from Sarfend.co.uk

Melbourne, OZ.
Re: Dunkirk.
Reply #2 - Jan 28th, 2018 at 1:42am

Sorry to be so late with this reply. Yes, I think the film was a true representation of the events although the general public had no knowledge of how the troops were marshalled on the dockside at Dunkirk. Not all the troops were given leave as a relative of mine returned from Dunkirk only to be put onto an army lorry to a main line station and sent to Scotland. He then went to North Africa, then over the Med. to Italy, walked up Italy to Germany and finally came home 5 years later.  Sad

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print