The first Garon shop was opened in 1885 at 64 The High Street Southend. Five years later Mr Henry Garon opened a cafe. By 1939 there were 37 shops, 10 restaurants, an hotel and a cinema, (Garon’s Imperial theatre.) In 1911 the New Imperial cinema was opened with 700 seats a cafe and in 1920 a ballroom. The Imperial became known as just Garon’s, it was demolished in 1963.
By 1885 the business had passed on to Norman Garon, who gave land on which the Garon Sport and Leisure Centre was built.
In the 50s Garon’s shops under the bridge in Southend High Street, numbers 66-68 consisted of a Restaurant, a butcher, a grocers and a fishmonger, the fish shop had a large galvanised container outside full of live eels. The huge Garon bakeries in Sutton Road supplied all their shops and restaurants.
The elegant banqueting Suite at Victoria Circus was a very popular venue for dinner dances and formal Ladies Nights.
By 1963 nos. 66-68 were Garon’s Self Service Grocers store.