Southend Info from Sarfend.co.ukDiscuss Southend-on-Sea in the Sarfend Forum
Southend discussion from your local site, Sarfend.co.uk Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 13
Send Topic Print
Sarfend Visitors Book Opening on 18th Nov at 1pm (Read 35006 times)
ossie
Guru

Westcliff-on-Sea
Sarfend Visitors Book Opening on 18th Nov at 1pm
Oct 28th, 2010 at 4:00pm

As some of you may know from a previous thread.  I was given a book by Brian on his recent visit from Canada last month.  Brian thought it would be a lovely idea if the book could be deposited somewhere significant where visitors who are familiar with this and other sites can go along and write a message in the book, locals, ex-pats and all.

After much deliberation I have found a host for the book, who will look after it and make it available to anyone who would like to sign it.

The book will be located in the RNLI Gift Shop at the end of Southend Pier, Dave and Ruth who run it have promised to cherish it. 

So next time you venture to the end of the pier, or at least now you will have a reason to go there, please do pop in and sign it.

I will be contacting Tom King at the Echo to see if he will do a piece, as well, I will ask the Mayor whether she might like to be the first to sign it.

So who will be the second to enter a message....?
« Last Edit: Nov 5th, 2010 at 10:12pm by Admin »  

Please check out a new website dedicated to Southend's Timeline:
http://www.southendtimeline.com/

IP Logged

alamotex
Guru

Vote Sarfend

Canada
Re: Sarfend Visitor Book
Reply #1 - Oct 28th, 2010 at 9:05pm

Thanks Ossie... I knew that you would come up with a suitable location for the Visitors Book. I was not so worried that a Pub location would preclude abstainers from having an opportnity to sign in, but rather the fact that these days it is difficult to find a pub with a guv'ner who would be into that sort of thing.

Some sixty years ago. a group of us who were members of the 75 HAA  Regt, Royal Artillery stationed in Milton Barracks, Gravesend ,Kent made an agreement that after we were were demobbed and on civvy street, and visiting London's West End, we would find our way to a pub just off the Haymarket and sign a guest book which would be behind the bar. Alas, many years later on a return visit to the UK.the bar attendant I encountered had no clue about the book. but I understand that many old army pals had signed it before it vanished.
Surely there will not be yet another fire at the Pier Head  !!

Cheers   Brian

IP Logged

ossie
Guru

Westcliff-on-Sea
Reply #2 - Oct 28th, 2010 at 10:13pm

Don't tempt fate Brian; but if there is, I am sure Dave and Ruth will make sure the book will be the first thing they will save Wink

IP Logged

Nick
Guru

Southend 4 Life

Westcliff-on-Sea
Reply #3 - Oct 28th, 2010 at 11:06pm

IP Logged

alamotex
Guru

Vote Sarfend

Canada
Reply #4 - Oct 29th, 2010 at 1:55pm

Love that , Nick.  A wallet sized card would make a good identity card for bone -fide contributors to the Sarfend Forum !!
How do we get the word out (and whats more keep it out ) about the visitors book and its location. ?

Some forums have an administators section where "standing orders" are published and are available to viewers every visit. Would this be possible ?

Cheers  Brian

IP Logged

ossie
Guru

Westcliff-on-Sea
Reply #5 - Nov 3rd, 2010 at 8:13pm

Brian, what have you started. 

Can I extend an invitation to anyone who can make it to the end of the pier on Thursday 18th November at 1pm;  the Mayor has kindly agreed to sign the first page of Brian's Sarfend Visitor book, at the RNLI Gift Shop. 

We are planning the signing for 11.30am and wil be asking the press to be in attendance for this time, so there is a chance to be immortalised in history, or at least on Southend Timeline  Grin

Further it has been recommended, that each year in November the incumbent Mayor signs a new page. 

Each visitor signing the book will be given a small certificate which will have the websites for this forum and Southend Timeline on it so they can be reminded to visit to continue the conversation, and Southend Timeline will keep a regular update of the signatories and comments from the book, this should hopefully keep the book alive and well for years to come.

Brian what time would it be with you in Canada at 11.30am?
« Last Edit: Nov 5th, 2010 at 7:05pm by ossie »  

IP Logged

kiwibloke
Guru

Sarfend 4 ever

Nuzild
Reply #6 - Nov 4th, 2010 at 6:23am

ossie wrote on Nov 3rd, 2010 at 8:13pm:
Wednesday 17th November; 
  A bit ambitious Ossie, will the pier head still be there after Nov 5th?

IP Logged

Mini-spiv
Guru

Vote Sarfend

Germany
Reply #7 - Nov 4th, 2010 at 6:44am

Wednesday 17th November

Hey that's my birthday!

We don't want the pier to disa-pier on that day or any other!

IP Logged

ossie
Guru

Westcliff-on-Sea
Reply #8 - Nov 4th, 2010 at 8:04am

Trust me it will be there in all its glory, and if by chance there is an issue Wink I am sure the Sarfend Visitor Book will be the first thing out, before women and children.

IP Logged

alamotex
Guru

Vote Sarfend

Canada
Reply #9 - Nov 4th, 2010 at 3:29pm

Brian, what have you started. 

Can I extend an invitation to anyone who can make it to the end of the pier on Wednesday 17th November;  the Mayor has kindly agreed to sign the first page of Brian's Sarfend Visitor book, at the RNLI Gift Shop. 

We are planning the signing for 11.30am and wil be asking the press to be in attendance for this time, so there is a chance to be immortalised in history, or at least on Southend Timeline  Grin

Further it has been recommended, that each year in November the incumbent Mayor signs a new page. 

Each visitor signing the book will be given a small certificate which will have the websites for this forum and Southend Timeline on it so they can be reminded to visit to continue the conversation, and Southend Timeline will keep a regular update of the signatories and comments from the book, this should hopefully keep the book alive and well for years to come.

Brian what time would it be with you in Canada at 11.30am?

Holy Mackeral, Andy !! (the Amos n' Andy Show for those of you unfamiliar with old US radio shows )

Never thought that it would mushroom to an Inaugural ! Had I known , I would have splurged on a few more dollars on a better quality guestbook. Congratulations , Ossie.

11.30 am will be 6.30 am in the Eastern time zone. I doubt that I can persuade our local TV station to do a satellite hook up !!  ha ha !!

Cheers   Brian  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged

ossie
Guru

Westcliff-on-Sea
Reply #10 - Nov 4th, 2010 at 5:17pm

Some more news, a local Southend art group (TAP) have offered to provide a specially designed creative cover for the book. 

Also a local company are going to provide some original brass fastenings for the signed sheets.  So the book is going to be quite fancy and hopefully may well last for many years to come.

Brian I am looking into how we can hook up a live connection to Canada on the day this does not seem to be the problem, however getting internet a mile and third out into the estuary is, so watch this space, we may well have you part of the event yet.

IP Logged

JW
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Nov 4th, 2010 at 10:18pm

ossie wrote on Nov 4th, 2010 at 5:17pm:
Some more news, a local Southend art group (TAP) have offered to provide a specially designed creative cover for the book. 

Also a local company are going to provide some original brass fastenings for the signed sheets.  So the book is going to be quite fancy and hopefully may well last for many years to come.

Brian I am looking into how we can hook up a live connection to Canada on the day this does not seem to be the problem, however getting internet a mile and third out into the estuary is, so watch this space, we may well have you part of the event yet.

Hasn't the lifeboat station got an ADSL connection? It's certainly got a phone line according to the website.

IP Logged

ossie
Guru

Westcliff-on-Sea
Reply #12 - Nov 4th, 2010 at 10:30pm

JW you are right.  Talking to some IT people tonight we need to test connection, so brace yourself Brian!

IP Logged

Mini-spiv
Guru

Vote Sarfend

Germany
Reply #13 - Nov 4th, 2010 at 11:50pm

"Mighty oaks from little acorns grow"

From Geoffrey Chaucer's Troilus and Criseyde, 1374.

A healthy respect is due to all involved in this project especially to Brian for his imaginative inspiration and civic good-will.

I'm sure that all those who learn of this innovative action will join with me in wishing for the greatest success going forward. Judging by the pace of support already, who knows where this may lead.

Rumour has it that the Guinness book of records are always on the lookout for superlatives Cool

IP Logged

Nick
Guru

Southend 4 Life

Westcliff-on-Sea
Reply #14 - Nov 5th, 2010 at 12:01am

If push comes to shove (not off the pier) how about a 3G dongle wireless internet thingy.

I hope to be able to attend the opening of the book.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 13
Send Topic Print