Southend Info from Sarfend.co.ukDiscuss Southend-on-Sea in the Sarfend Forum
Southend discussion from your local site, Sarfend.co.uk Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Old Shop Fronts & Names (Read 3763 times)
Nick
Guru

Southend 4 Life

Westcliff-on-Sea
Old Shop Fronts & Names
Oct 29th, 2010 at 11:59pm

Let's see how this pans out,

Many of the old High Street names that we thought would always be there have been vanishing either being bought out and rebranded or going tits up and going bust.

A small (very small) collection of photos of shop fronts that have changed, not just name but also use.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i87/Southendheritage/Southend%20Stuff/TimesFur...
Times Furnishing now Frankies and Bennys.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i87/Southendheritage/Southend%20Stuff/NinaKaye...
Nina Kaye General Store now Pizza Hut

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i87/Southendheritage/Southend%20Stuff/Bermans....
Bermans Toys and Sports (Toys left hand side?) now the† Slug and Lettuce pub/bar

and what could be the last of it's kind...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v142/Southendnick/Southend%20Town/Bermansbag.j...

IP Logged

southendroger
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

southend-on-sea
Re: Old Shop Fronts & Names
Reply #1 - Oct 30th, 2010 at 8:48am

Good stuff Nick, as said in a previous post i still refer to the Times. Some of the other shops sometimes are a job to remember. what was there. but do remember those three.
Also to see the underpass,altered at at a huge cost as it was an inch to low i beleive. now shut???.
good stuff any more.

IP Logged

Nick
Guru

Southend 4 Life

Westcliff-on-Sea
Reply #2 - Oct 30th, 2010 at 4:40pm

southendroger wrote on Oct 30th, 2010 at 8:48am:
Good stuff Nick, as said in a previous post i still refer to the Times. Some of the other shops sometimes are a job to remember. what was there. but do remember those three.
Also to see the underpass,altered at at a huge cost as it was an inch to low i beleive. now shut???.
good stuff any more.

The photo's are actually my brother's he is away so I borrowed them, will have a look through to see what else in in the album one downer is there WILL be a bus (or coach) in the photo...

The underpass issue all kicked off after the re-build started, the new unit over the deeping was built to the spec required then our good friends the EU changed the rules on height restrictions making the new shop that little bit too low...

IP Logged

southendroger
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

southend-on-sea
Reply #3 - Oct 30th, 2010 at 6:58pm

Buses are fine nick. Whatever happened to the common market.

IP Logged

Nick
Guru

Southend 4 Life

Westcliff-on-Sea
Reply #4 - Oct 30th, 2010 at 7:04pm

southendroger wrote on Oct 30th, 2010 at 6:58pm:
Whatever happened to the common market.

It went posh!

IP Logged

LeftSouthendBehind
Guru

Sarfend.co.uk for Southend
information

Suffolk
Reply #5 - Oct 30th, 2010 at 7:51pm

net to bermans on the piza hut side there was a little sweetshop we always bought milk bottle sweets there when we went into town and later in the day we would go down the high street and buy cheese at the cheese counter inside BHS and then have a lime drink upstairs in the BHS cafe.There was crinkly glass all round the cafe.

IP Logged

LeftSouthendBehind
Guru

information

Suffolk
Reply #6 - Oct 30th, 2010 at 8:05pm

ha lol I remebered a few other shops in the victoria precint in around 1989

there was victory bookshop at the top of the escalator, on the corner opposite this there was a leather shop which always had a closing down sale there was a big computer games shop on the top row just coming to the right after the run where the staircase is/was from the station there was a cafe at the top of those stairs with a jewellers opposite that and and a picture shop in that run with a clothes shop which sold very daring dresses for that time (ie with only one sleeve)

IP Logged

Suffolk punch
Guru

information

Suffolk's Heritage Coast
Reply #7 - Oct 31st, 2010 at 2:48pm

On a more general note about shop fronts and names I canít help but think it a shame how the sign writerís craft has disappeared from the high streets of Britain and all but gone from parades and corner shops (where they still exist) and not to mention the sides of commercial vehicles.

The skill has now been replaced by factory machine produced plastic signage usually limited in style and often looking out of place against the architecture of an earlier period.† Not only that, I suspect that the signs are sometimes over-large and cover other adjacent architectural features of the shop front.

IP Logged

JW
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Oct 31st, 2010 at 9:48pm

LeftSouthendBehind wrote on Oct 30th, 2010 at 8:05pm:
ha lol I remebered a few other shops in the victoria precint in around 1989

there was victory bookshop at the top of the escalator, on the corner opposite this there was a leather shop which always had a closing down sale there was a big computer games shop on the top row just coming to the right after the run where the staircase is/was from the station there was a cafe at the top of those stairs with a jewellers opposite that and and a picture shop in that run with a clothes shop which sold very daring dresses for that time (ie with only one sleeve)

The computer shop was called Estuary Computers, and was run (partly?) by Mr Foy, who was one of my Computer Science teachers at school.

The art shop was Chartwell Gallery, and is/was owned by my brother-in-law's brother. The story I heard was that his store was not upmarket enough to be offered a place in the 'new' Vic Circus.

There also used to be a pie & mash shop I think, and there was a strange shop on the first floor, which sold back issues of all sorts of magazines. Would have been about 1984, when I first got a home computer, and went hunting in there for back issues of the relevant magazine.

Did there also used to be a Wargames 2 in Vic Circus too? A role-playing game shop?

Late 80s/early 90s, there was another computer games shop, in the northern side of the first floor 'square'.

Oh, and when in town with my mum & dad, we were always in Gades, with my mum buying knitting wool etc.

IP Logged

JW
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Oct 31st, 2010 at 9:58pm

Nina Kaye! That rings a few bells. Was it some kind of haberdashery place - net curtains and all that?

I seem to remember a couple of shops that we used to go in along that parade.

IP Logged

LeftSouthendBehind
Guru

information

Suffolk
Reply #10 - Oct 31st, 2010 at 10:23pm

Quote:
Nina Kaye! That rings a few bells. Was it some kind of haberdashery place - net curtains and all that?

I remember it too, now you say net curtains.

IP Logged

Nick
Guru

Southend 4 Life

Westcliff-on-Sea
Reply #11 - Oct 31st, 2010 at 11:08pm

Quote:
Late 80s/early 90s, there was another computer games shop, in the northern side of the first floor 'square'.

Software+ was on the upper floor, there was also a model shop Go Fast Models?

IP Logged

southendroger
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

southend-on-sea
Reply #12 - Nov 1st, 2010 at 3:41pm

How the meaning of software has changed.

IP Logged

Nick
Guru

Southend 4 Life

Westcliff-on-Sea
Reply #13 - Nov 1st, 2010 at 9:25pm

I have started building a website, it's only going to be a very basic one nothing like Longpier was, as it's going to be a free hosting free space one on Webs.com

As a very small preview of one of the articles that I hope to include and seing as we are talking about shops in this thread.

Going back to the days of Victoria Circus/Plaza "Windy City" days before the roof was built.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i87/Southendheritage/Southend%20Stuff/VicCircU...
Upper Floor

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i87/Southendheritage/Southend%20Stuff/VicCircG...
Ground Floor

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i87/Southendheritage/Southend%20Stuff/VicCircL...
Lower Floor

Would I be right in thinking House of Holland wa son the lower floor along with FADS where the bus stops are?

They pics are still under construction but it's a start all I want to add are a few more tags of the buildings round and possibly a few of the "landmark" shops will also add the three shells and Lobster play things.

IP Logged

southendroger
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

southend-on-sea
Reply #14 - Nov 1st, 2010 at 11:20pm

I wish you luck Nick. There was a bobins book shop.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print