Southend Info from Sarfend.co.ukDiscuss Southend-on-Sea in the Sarfend Forum
Southend discussion from your local site, Sarfend.co.uk Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Who thought that was a good idea? (Read 436 times)
LeftSouthendBehind
Guru

Sarfend.co.uk for Southend
information

Suffolk
Who thought that was a good idea?
Nov 4th, 2010 at 9:19pm

ANGRY traders are threatening to challenge Southend Council if it decides to force them from their shops to make way for a Sainsbury’s store at Roots Hall.

Just read this in the Echo online

Twenty years ago there were massive traffic jams at Roots hall particularly on market day what's it like now what will it be like with a petrol station and supermarket?

what about the market traders?

what about parking?

what about............surely that's not good?

IP Logged

JW
Ex Member

Re: Who thought that was a good idea?
Reply #1 - Nov 4th, 2010 at 10:21pm

LeftSouthendBehind wrote on Nov 4th, 2010 at 9:19pm:
ANGRY traders are threatening to challenge Southend Council if it decides to force them from their shops to make way for a Sainsbury’s store at Roots Hall.

Just read this in the Echo online

Twenty years ago there were massive traffic jams at Roots hall particularly on market day what's it like now what will it be like with a petrol station and supermarket?

what about the market traders?

what about parking?

what about............surely that's not good?

Which traders will be 'outed'?

I can only imagine that as part of the deal, Sainsburys will be asked to pay for some road improvements in the area - à la Tesco @ Princes Ave, or Sainsburys themselves, who I am led to believe paid for College Way?

IP Logged

Nick
Guru

Southend 4 Life

Westcliff-on-Sea
Reply #2 - Nov 4th, 2010 at 11:59pm

Its the shaps at the Bottom of Vic Ave/Fairfax Drive junction.

The deal to build a new Sainsburys will include an amount to improve the roads.

IP Logged

southendroger
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

southend-on-sea
Reply #3 - Nov 5th, 2010 at 9:56am

It is a job to seperate fact from fiction here.It was reported last year that the council had sold St Marys flats to Ron Martin, also that he  had the nod if he wanted them to compusery purchase anybuildings on the site. Also that southend United were to buy prospects college  all later denied.
People seem to believe that Sainsburys will pay for the football stadium, not sure the shareholders will agree.
I have just heard the cabinit have passed it. and given permission to compulsery purchase.

As for road improvements Mr Martin  was going to put in a 4 lane roadto replace the ( hang on a 4 lane road is already there). I think its a wait and see.

IP Logged

LeftSouthendBehind
Guru

information

Suffolk
Reply #4 - Nov 5th, 2010 at 11:34am

i still don't get it.

How could they make the roads better without taking half the park away, or half the bus station on fairfax drive, or the driving test centre on the corner,or half of victoria avenue and weren't there rare bats living on victoria avenue which can't be disturbed?

as you say, its a job to seperate facts from fiction.

And it does refer to the shops at the bottom of victoria avenue (i just cant picture a big supermarket/petrol station right there)

Also didn't they just discover a fifteenth century place at the bakers on went road/victoria avenu so now they wan't to disfigure it with a bright orange supermarket?

IP Logged

southendroger
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

southend-on-sea
Reply #5 - Nov 5th, 2010 at 12:14pm

Without bulldozing more buildings there is not much room for improvements, A couple of things have changed. The bus station was converted into a college ,it is now empty purchased by Sainsburys.
that when demolished will be the entrace. The driving test centre is also empty but is a bit further back.
The bakers burnt down and was rebuilt.

IP Logged

LeftSouthendBehind
Guru

information

Suffolk
Reply #6 - Nov 5th, 2010 at 12:26pm

southendroger wrote on Nov 5th, 2010 at 12:14pm:
Without bulldozing more buildings there is not much room for improvements, A couple of things have changed. The bus station was converted into a college ,it is now empty purchased by Sainsburys.
that when demolished will be the entrace. The driving test centre is also empty but is a bit further back.
The bakers burnt down and was rebuilt.

ah ok, it has changed a lot then. Is the run of dodgy kebab/takeaways still on the corner?

IP Logged

Nick
Guru

Southend 4 Life

Westcliff-on-Sea
Reply #7 - Nov 5th, 2010 at 12:43pm

The bakers, Spread Eagle and Golden Lion have nothing to do with the scheme.

The parts in question are Roots Hall, St Mary's Flats, Prospects (old bus garage) and the shops on the junction of Vic Ave and Fairfax.

The shops include a couple of take aways, a closed mobile phone shop and a shop selling domestic appliences.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print